Mesothelioma cancer centers typically offer comprehensive care and specialized services tailored to individuals diagnosed with mesothelioma, a rare and aggressive cancer primarily caused by exposure to asbestos. These centers are dedicated to providing multidisciplinary care and support throughout the treatment process. Some of the services they may offer include:
- Diagnostic Services: Specialized testing, imaging (such as CT scans, MRIs, and PET scans), and biopsies to confirm mesothelioma diagnosis and determine its stage.
- Treatment Options: Oncologists and specialists at these centers may offer a range of treatment options including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, and emerging treatments through clinical trials.
- Multidisciplinary Care: A team of experts, including oncologists, surgeons, radiologists, pulmonologists, pathologists, and other specialists, collaborates to create personalized treatment plans.
- Surgical Interventions: Centers specializing in mesothelioma often have surgeons experienced in performing complex surgeries such as pleurectomy/decortication (P/D) and extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) for pleural mesothelioma, as well as other procedures for peritoneal and other types of mesothelioma.
- Clinical Trials: Access to clinical trials investigating new treatments and therapies for mesothelioma that may not be available elsewhere.
- Palliative Care: Supportive care services aimed at managing symptoms, improving quality of life, and providing emotional and physical support for patients and their families.
- Follow-Up Care: Regular monitoring, follow-up appointments, and imaging scans to track the progression of the disease and assess the effectiveness of treatment.
- Patient Education and Support: Counseling, support groups, and educational resources for patients and their families to help them better understand the disease, its treatment options, and coping strategies.
- Second Opinions: Offering specialized expertise for patients seeking a second opinion regarding their diagnosis or treatment plan.
- Coordination of Care: Mesothelioma cancer centers often assist in coordinating care between different specialists and healthcare providers to ensure comprehensive and integrated treatment.
These centers typically have highly skilled medical professionals who specialize in treating mesothelioma, along with access to the latest research, technology, and treatments specific to this rare form of cancer. Their goal is to provide personalized and comprehensive care to improve patient outcomes and quality of life.