Finding a mesothelioma specialist or doctor can greatly impact the treatment and care you or a loved one receives. Here are some ways to research and find mesothelioma doctors:
- National Cancer Institute (NCI) Designated Cancer Centers: The NCI designates certain cancer centers as comprehensive cancer centers. These centers often have specialists in mesothelioma and offer cutting-edge treatments. You can find a list of these centers on the NCI website.
- Mesothelioma Research and Treatment Centers: There are specific centers dedicated to mesothelioma research and treatment. Institutions like the MD Anderson Cancer Center, Mayo Clinic, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and others often have specialists who focus on mesothelioma.
- Online Databases and Directories: Websites like the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation (MARF), American Cancer Society, and specialized databases like the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) can provide information on doctors specializing in mesothelioma.
- Consult with a Primary Care Physician or Oncologist: Your primary care physician or an oncologist might be able to refer you to a specialist in mesothelioma or connect you with a specialized cancer center.
- Patient Support Groups: Online or local support groups for mesothelioma patients may have recommendations or experiences to share about specific doctors or treatment centers.
- Medical Board Certification and Credentials: Look for doctors who are board-certified in oncology, specializing in thoracic oncology, or who have specific experience in treating mesothelioma. Check their credentials and affiliations with reputable medical institutions.
- Research Publications and Clinical Trials: Doctors who are actively involved in research or clinical trials related to mesothelioma often contribute to publications. Searching medical journals or clinical trial databases might help identify such specialists.
- Online Reviews and Testimonials: While this shouldn’t be the sole basis for a decision, patient reviews or testimonials can provide insight into a doctor’s bedside manner and patient satisfaction.
When researching doctors, it’s essential to consider their experience, the treatment options they offer, their success rates, location, and your personal comfort level with them. Consulting with more than one specialist and discussing treatment plans can also provide different perspectives and options for care.